string termination

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 06:52:48 +1000

Hi Ron,

>>  Conventional bridge pins suffer severe damage at the termination
>>point. An intermediate solution would be hardened bridge pins, but
>>it will be a costly exercise.
>>
>>Ron O.
>
>Hi Ron,
>It's true that speaking side bridge pins wear more than back side
>pins, but back side pins wear as well. I think cyclic dimensional
>changes of conventional bridge capping is responsible for at least
>half the wear we see in these pins. Better capping material would, I
>think, be the first step with tougher pins as the next if it still
>seemed necessary.
>
>Ron N

Yes, I would have agreed with that also. But recently, a few days
after stringing the Overs-Kawai piano, I pulled some agraffes for a
second hole re-profile (this piano is the recently rebuilt one which
didn't get the agraffes electro-nickel plated). A couple of notes in
the C52 area were driving me nuts with agraffe string noise. I
examined the bridge pins while the strings were off and was shocked
at the marked deformation of the new bridge pins from the wire after
only a few days at tension.

I photographed the bridge pin damage using extension bellows on the
SLR camera. The plan was to share these images with the Pianotech
community, but I haven't scanned them yet.

So while I still share your view that we need the most stable and
strong bridge capping material, the side draft pressure on the pins
when combined with the string-drag on the pin when the piano is
pulled to pitch and rubbed down, would seem to be doing considerable
damage to the pins even before climate cycling issues do their thing.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers