string termination

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:37:54 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ric Brekne" <ricbrek@broadpark.no>
To: "pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2005 2:57 AM
Subject: string termination

> Hi Carl.
>
> I doubt seriously you will ever get a clear definitive answer to your
> question. Dissagreement exists even concerning fundemental string
> vibrational behaviours, and not just by pianotechs.

You do realize that I am no stranger to disagreementss.

> One thing should be (I say should be) without doubt. Various end
> conditions of strings most certainly do affect string vibrational
> behaviour and in turn influence sustain, vibrational directions, energy
> transfer to the bridge and soundboard, strengths of partials, and others.
> Its easy enough to hear and measure more then significant change when
> changes are made.

I don't plan to hear or measure anything.  I only want to look and see what
is happening to the string.

> Personally, I like what Ed McMorrow had to say on the subject. A short bit
> in his book and I only mention it because you used the word "pivot" in
> your note.  It is part of his reasoning as to how the front duplex
> functions. I have to also agree with his observation that the best capo
> condition is a 0.5 mm V (not U) on non hardened surface. He has some
> interesting points also as to how capo grooving can differ for different
> capo solutions, and how these differences play out in terms of string
> noises over time.

I have his book and agree with much of what he says.

> Wapin has some hard science to back up his claims worth reading. Been a
> while since I've heard from them so I am not sure what they have out for
> public reading any more. Contact him for more info. He has always been
> more then friendly and helpful in the past.

The "Hard" science i've read in the past was about half hard.  I haven't
read it lately, but I will look into it.

> You raise an interesting subject to be sure.

Yes, thanks.

Carl Meyer PTG assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.