string termination

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:57:48 +0200

Hi Carl.

I doubt seriously you will ever get a clear definitive answer to your
question. Dissagreement exists even concerning fundemental string
vibrational behaviours, and not just by pianotechs.

One thing should be (I say should be) without doubt. Various end
conditions of strings most certainly do affect string vibrational
behaviour and in turn influence sustain, vibrational directions, energy
transfer to the bridge and soundboard, strengths of partials, and
others. Its easy enough to hear and measure more then significant change
when changes are made.

Personally, I like what Ed McMorrow had to say on the subject. A short
bit in his book and I only mention it because you used the word "pivot"
in  your note.  It is part of his reasoning as to how the front duplex
functions. I have to also agree with his observation that the best capo
condition is a 0.5 mm V (not U) on non hardened surface. He has some
interesting points also as to how capo grooving can differ for different
capo solutions, and how these differences play out in terms of string
noises over time.

Wapin has some hard science to back up his claims worth reading. Been a
while since I've heard from them so I am not sure what they have out for
public reading any more. Contact him for more info. He has always been
more then friendly and helpful in the past.

You raise an interesting subject to be sure.

Cheers
RicB

Carl Writes:

Here's my question:  A vibrating string has two terminations.  It is excited
in the northern direction.  (Ignore the strike point)  What effect on tone
will be the termination of the two ends of the string????? Both north, one
north and the other south, east or west????   Or no big difference??