string termination

justpianos@our.net.au justpianos@our.net.au
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 05:36:36 -0000

List,
I'm a complete novice on the science of this, whilst having originally
trained as an Engineer, but it strikes me that the bridge attached to the
soundboard does not constitute a termination, but rather a node, as it needs
to vibrate the soundboard to transmit the sound.
Also I feel that an agraffe hole exactly the diameter of the string would be
the most efficient to act as both a termination and a node.
Bruce Browning _ The Piano Tuner