string termination

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:52:27 +0200

Hey again Carl... a few couple comments interpierced :) below.

>/ Hi Carl.
/>/
/>/ I doubt seriously you will ever get a clear definitive answer to your
/>/ question. Dissagreement exists even concerning fundemental string
/>/ vibrational behaviours, and not just by pianotechs.
/
/You do realize that I am no stranger to disagreements./
----------------------

Hey.... Its me :) !!

>/ One thing should be (I say should be) without doubt. Various end
/>/ conditions of strings most certainly do affect string vibrational
/>/ behaviour and in turn influence sustain, vibrational directions, energy
/>/ transfer to the bridge and soundboard, strengths of partials, and others.
/>/ Its easy enough to hear and measure more then significant change when
/>/ changes are made.
/

/I don't plan to hear or measure anything.  I only want to look and see what
is happening to the string.
/-------------------------

The thing about just haveing a look see... even with a strobe is that
you cant really be all that sure of what you are looking at. To find
out how different termination configurations affect string travel I'd
imagine you'd want to <<look>> very closely at the
termination itself and whats going on there. To be really sure of whats
going on there I'd think one would want some measuring device that
would provide a bit more definitive information then what one could
observe with the eyeball and a strobe.

Cheers

RicB