string termination

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:06:03 +0200

Hi Calin.

Calin writes:

You both think that the Stuart agraffe doesn't make a better termination? I
would think it does, because it is a harder surface than a conventional
bridgepin+wood termination, and would thus be somewhat less flexible,
causing less energy (high freq. especially) to be lost.
No doubt that the agraffe's mass can also contribute.

 Calin Tantareanu

-------------------------

I would think so as well.  Perhaps if one contacted Stuart one could
aquire some hard data on the subject ??

 From an article on the subject....

    "After years of experimentation, Wayne Stuart developed a special
    clamp to keep the vibrations vertical. Eager to discover if his
    invention was a fluke or could be scientifically proven he called in
    the expertise of Robert Anderssen from the Australian science
    agency, CSIRO."

    "Applying the maths of vibrating strings, some of it going back to
    Pythagoras, Robert was able to show mathematically that the clamps
    ensured a more harmonious and clearer singing sound.

    "Those notes are more harmonious because the string is kept
    vibrating vertically and the energy in the vibrations is dissipated
    more slowly and that's what the musicians call sustain and volume."

The person making this claim can be reached at

Dr. Robert Anderssen
Computer Science and Information Technology Building
Australian National University
North Rd
Acton ACT 2601
Bob.Anderssen@csiro.au <mailto:Bob.Anderssen@csiro.au>