string termination

Calin Tantareanu calin.tantareanu@gmx.net
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:17:45 +0300

Hello Ric!

You wrote:

>    "After years of experimentation, Wayne Stuart developed a special
>    clamp to keep the vibrations vertical. Eager to discover if his
>    invention was a fluke or could be scientifically proven he called in
>    the expertise of Robert Anderssen from the Australian science
>    agency, CSIRO."
>    "Those notes are more harmonious because the string is kept
>    vibrating vertically and the energy in the vibrations is dissipated
>    more slowly and that's what the musicians call sustain and volume."

The "vertical vibration claim doesn't seem very plausible to me (but i don't
have any counter-arguments). I just think the way a bridge agraffe can
improve sustain is just by virtue of its greater hardness (and weight),
compared to a conventional bridge pin, which seems to be a pretty flexible
contraption.

Regards,

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calin.1L.com