CA Glue

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:54:41 -0500

I like the Kwick Kleen brand, www.kwickkleen.com
<http://www.kwickkleen.com/> , (888) 222-9767. It is always fresh and
their shipping is quick.

Susan is RIGHT! (not to be confused with conservative ;-) ) 2 oz of glue
is plenty to do 98% of the pianos. I usually use 1.5 oz. and I really
like the hypo oilers. They give excellent control and placement exactly
where I want the glue.  With 2 oz or less you don't have to worry too
much about the glue running places you don't want it. I have NEVER had
any run into the action cavity but I still always take the action out
(unless it is a spot treatment). I charge 3 times my tuning rate and
offer an 8 year warranty. People are happy to pay that little to save
their piano and buy peace of mind.

On the glue in the eye thing, read the MSDS sheets. As I recall, it says
not to panic. CA glue polymerizes on contact with water. The epidermal
cells in the eye will slough off within a day or two where the glue sets
up, no surgery required. I remember a newspaper article where an abused
child with eyelids superglued shut underwent surgery to open them back
up. If they'd only read the MSDS sheets.

The gloves are a good idea. Wally World sells a whole box of latex like
vinyl gloves in the paint department for cheap.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802