CA glue, burnt shellac.

firman1 firman1@prodigy.net
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:55:51 -0500

I once made my own burnt shellac by burning it! I took old shellac =
3-pound cut, and placed in in metal can. I then lit it with a long =
match...be careful as alcohol is almost invisible as it burns and the =
flame is hard to see. It might require lighting a couple of times as the =
can heats up. Soon bubbles will form around the perimeter and the =
shellac burn on its own and will gradually lose its solvent (alcohol). =
When reduced somewhat (around 50%), cover the can to extinguish the =
flame and let cool. The burnt shellac will become thicker as it cools. =
If too thin, burn again, if too thick add a little alcohol. You will =
soon be able to judge how far to go in the burning. Pour the cooled =
burnt shellac into an airtight container.
Using old shellac might affect the drying time.=20
A simpler method is to buy shellac flakes and dissolve in a little =
alcohol until it is the right consistency. This way it dries very fast.

I use burnt shellac to seal metal nipples into wood for players, sealing =
pouch wells and channels, gluing felt and leather to metal, such as =
buckskin to metal lever ends or felt to metal guides, etc.

Berley