upright rebuild

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:38:14 -0400

I prefer to remove keybed and lay on back on a tilter. Easier to adjust =
your height than the piano. Arledge strings are the cat's meow.

Are you S-U-R-E the soundboard is okay?????? Hmmmmmmm???

I highly recommend that at a minimum to pull all the bridge pins and =
epoxy new pins in place. Preferably also plane down the bridge top to =
the base of the string indentations (but that might be hard if you are =
not removing plate - maybe something to consider).

Have you taken a R-E-A-L close look at downbearing (and soundboard crown =
between all ribs)? Perhaps you will wish to tweak plate height for =
optimal downbearing?

Is the butt leather in good condition? Damper springs? Etc., etc.......

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: richard.ucci@att.net=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 8:17 AM
  Subject: upright rebuild

  Hi Folks,
  I'm about to embark on an 1920's era upright partial rebuild. =
Restring, New Hammers, Jack Springs, Butt Felts, Bridle Straps,Dampers. =
I'm looking for any advice on order of tasks, also, how many of you =
remove the keybed and string the piano on its back?=20
  Do you use something to raise the piano up to a comfortable height for =
stringing? I have a workbench that will hold 1,000 lbs ,also have =
tilter. I've committed Reblitz to memory and also have most of the =
Spurlock pamphlets. Also, has anyone tried Arlidge strings?
  Soundboard ,ribs,and bridges are good , keys don't need rebushing yet. =
 =20
  Thanks,
  Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano