upright rebuild

Will Wickham wwickham@stny.rr.com
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:13:04 -0400

Hi Rick,

I've restrung many uprights both with and without the keybed. My
favored way is with the keybed out and the piano on the tilter. I sit
on a stool and can work pretty comfortably until I get to the longest
strings. Even then the process is pretty painless. The only times not
to do it this way, in my opinion, are those times when taking the
keybed out would create problems with veneer or if it is glued in
place. I restored an early 1900's Ivers and Pond last year that had the
keybed glued in. Unfortunately that one had to come out for some
soundboard repair. What a mess! That's my 2 cents FWIW!
will wickham
hiding out in New York's sunny southern tier!