Veneer Repair

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:51:25 -0500

Would they be interested in a black finish?  Hides a multitude of sins and would sure be easier than matching the veneer grain and finish.

The SAMA people had a piano in Sacramento (or maybe it was Kansas City) that had severe damage like this to the arms on either side. Their repair made it look perfect. I asked how they did it and he showed me some pictures. Wish I'd paid a little more attention, but I think they actually replaced some or all of the core wood as well as the veneer.

I'll be curious what others post. My only thought would be to use shallow cuts and route off however much veneer you need to, apply new veneer to the verticle face and clamp it with a board or some such, then with the clamps still in place, fill the gap with epoxy, then sand, apply the top veneer, etc. Take this bit for what it is though, it is NOT the voice of experience.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri