upright rebuild

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:50:10 -0500

Seems like we need to think about the continuum of make-it-work >>> properly-repair >>> rebuild >>> restore.  So much depends on budget, time, and the piano's value (actual and customer-perceived).

I regularly tune a 6' 1903 Steinway that I know a lot of you folks would love to run through your shop and make showroom-new again. The block works courtesy of about a gallon of CA, it desparately needs regulating but the customer (though she plays VERY well) doesn't "see" it ("I like a heavy action." "Yeah, but yours is about to become a black hole, it's so heavy." "I don't care, I like it."), and the soundboard is actually about 5 boards that almost touch each other, but not quite.

It tunes beautifully and SOUNDS magnificent.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell
To: Pianotech
Sent: 08/16/2005 2:38:14 PM
Subject: Re: upright rebuild

I prefer to remove keybed and lay on back on a tilter. Easier to adjust your height than the piano. Arledge strings are the cat's meow.

Are you S-U-R-E the soundboard is okay?????? Hmmmmmmm???

I highly recommend that at a minimum to pull all the bridge pins and epoxy new pins in place. Preferably also plane down the bridge top to the base of the string indentations (but that might be hard if you are not removing plate - maybe something to consider).

Have you taken a R-E-A-L close look at downbearing (and soundboard crown between all ribs)? Perhaps you will wish to tweak plate height for optimal downbearing?

Is the butt leather in good condition? Damper springs? Etc., etc.......

Terry Farrell