CA glue

tom driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 02:09:45 -0400

Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 12:15 PM
Subject: Re: CA glue

> Very rarely a bit of CA will run out the pin hole, and
> make a  little "stalactite" or "bump" on the end of
> the tuning pin. Ignore it, or break it off! This is
> still MUCH neater than CA'ng from above, AND it does a
> better job.
>    Besides: when I tell the customer thaey are saving
> $3,000 on a  restringing job with block, they don't
> care about this minor cosmetic detail. If it occurs.
>     Still, I have 2, 2"x12" planks with gym matting
> on top of them to lay the piano over onto ( and still
> get my fingers out intact! )
>
>    I put down a plastic dropclth, then the boars with
> the gym matting, then another dropcloth. This way, if
> anything drips through, it won't wreck the carpet, OR
> glue the planks to the piano cheeks!
>     I pre-tune the piano prior to inverting, to get
> iot close, and usually make 2 passes with the CA,
> filing iup the holes. Then I take the side of the
> bottle and smear whatever is around the hoiles over
> the pinblock's surface, sealing it, too. I like to
> wait 2 days ( at least ) before righting the piano
> fora  fine-tuning.
>     Thump
>     Thump
>

>Gordon ,
    Respectfully, you can make the the easiest task akin to the building of
the Pyramids .
    I juice the pins from the top with  wax paper  between the action and
the bottom of the block ---Quick pre tune under an hour plus 30 minutes at
most for a couple of passes with the CA. This of course with a fan or two
and an open window.
    Come back the next day and tune away.
    I have yet to have a reasonable candidate fail to respond and with at
least 25 of these under my belt I've never seen a drop of CA hit the paper.
        I realize that you must do what you must do  , but  I say this to
those considering your approach:
             Keep it simple and you'll live longer.
    Gordon, you may not agree with my simplistic approach, but you give me a
headache with these descriptions.
    Tom  --- Flaming the Thumper for the first time in two years--Driscoll

    P.S. Got that Escaine (sp?) yet?