PTG app questions

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:57:31 -0500

When I rejoined PTG St. Louis Chapter (after a few years out due to distance from meetings), they definitely called my references and did it very professionally and courteously. So some do.

As to character references, in particular ... I've met Joe Garret, I've been in classes Joe Garret has taught, I've had face-to-face, telephone, and Internet chats with Joe Garrett, I use Joe Garrett's estimating guide, Joe Garrett has done some nice custom work for me, and I've read Joe Garrett's posts for years and years. So I can unreservedly and enthusiastically state, from personal knowledge and long experience, that Joe Garrett is, indeed, a bona fide character.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Garrett
To: pianotech
Sent: 08/18/2005 12:10:39 PM
Subject: Re: PTG app questions

John Delmore asked: "I got my PTG application et al in the mail yesterday, and have a couple of
questions.  For professional references:  I don't have any in the piano
industry-I'm just learning.  I can't imagine anyone cares what kind of
chemist I am!  Same with a sponsor-do I need to find one before applying?
Everything else, I think I've got."

Thanks for any guidance
John,
The Professional references are actually "personal" references, as to your character, etc.<G> In all my time in PTG, I only know of a very few such "references" that were actually checked!!! (This is a big "sore spot" in the application, IMO.
As for the Sponsor, YES, you do need one. That person needs to be an RPT. Most are, only too willing to sign your application. I just wish they, (all of us RPTs), would take that "Sponsor" signature. That should obligate the "Sponsor" to Mentor the applicant. Few do, unfortunately. :-(
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I