string termination

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 02:52:11 -0500

Your pictures show an interesting concept of how to keep a piano string =
from
buzzing on top of the bridge (without to much down bearing) .  Is this =
an
agraffe on the bridge?  How is it actually mounted?  Threaded, or driven =
or
glued?  How does this sound?   It must be acceptable as in better than
digital.   These days most digitals are beginning to sound better than =
most
grands under 5'2" at least through loud speakers (including sound
reinforcement).  =20

=20

The other concern (theoretical) is that a string resting on a bridge by
itself transmits its vibrations directly.  A string going through a big
brass agraffe must also move the mass of that agraffe which might be =
many
times more than the string itself so I wonder what the acoustic or sonic
effect might be?   I would love to hear it because it seems such an =
object
might be made to solve the problem of down bearing controlled to .001 =
inch
for each string. =20

                              ---ric=20

=20