Accessing PTG website

Ron Berry ron@berrypiano.com
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:34:32 -0500

Diane,

There are some technical reasons why things are as they are for the
members area.  First is that we use a copy of the member database from
the home office to validate who is a member.  We can't just set up a login
system where you put in a name and password because we need to validate
who are actually PTG members.  It's not that the data there is so valuable
but just that much of it doesn't need to be seen by non members.

The official copy of the database is on a computer at the home office not on
the web server.  That prevents us from letting you change your own
information online because then it would not update the home office
computer.  There are changes to that database every day and Sandy sends
me a new copy once a week.  Large banks run have their databases
attached to their webserver.  It would be possible to have the official version
of the member database online but right now the home office copy has a lot
more information in it than we need online, (like whether or not dues is paid).

To the question of passwords.  We have to assign something as a password
for each member.  Sandy set up a system so that her software generates a
password automatically so she doesn't forget to put one there.

It may be possible to work out a different system which would probably
involve you telling Sandy what you want as a password and her putting it in
the home office database and then it getting updated on the web server.
The member number part of the login needs to stay.  It has to be unique and
names are often not.

I will look into a way to give you a password of your choosing.  If you use
Netscape or Firefox it remembers the login information the next time you
come back and you don't need to reenter it.

Ron

On 18 Aug 2005 at 9:36, DIANE HOFSTETTER wrote:

> So, here I sit at work, trying to find info on Oslund key recovering
> machines. My login and password carefully stored at home in front of
> my computer there. Why, oh Why is PTG so afraid of outsiders looking
> at our secret, esoteric info, that they assign such difficult to
> remember numbers to us? Even my BANK allows me to choose my own login
> and password on it's secure website. Diane Hofstetter

Ron Berry Piano Service
Indianapolis, IN 46220
317-255-8213
ron@berrypiano.com