Thanks Re: Accessing PTG website

DIANE HOFSTETTER dianepianotuner@msn.com
Sat, 20 Aug 2005 10:15:32 -0700

Thanks, Ron.  I put the cheat sheet with my login and password in my wallet.
  Lots of people use the computer at work so I don't want to save that info
on the office computer.  Who knows what someone would buy?!

Diane Hofstetter

<BLOCKQUOTE style='PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #A0C6E5
2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px'><font
style='FONT-SIZE:11px;FONT-FAMILY:tahoma,sans-serif'><hr color=#A0C6E5
size=1>
things are as they are for the<br>&gt;members area.  First is that we use a
copy of the member database from<br>&gt;the home office to validate who is a
member.  We can't just set up a login<br>&gt;system where you put in a name
and password because we need to validate<br>&gt;who are actually PTG
members.  It's not that the data there is so valuable<br>&gt;but just that
much of it doesn't need to be seen by non members.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;The
official copy of the database is on a computer at the home office not
on<br>&gt;the web server.  That prevents us from letting you change your
own<br>&gt;information online because then it would not update the home
office<br>&gt;computer.  There are changes to that database every day and
Sandy sends<br>&gt;me a new copy once a week.  Large banks run have their
databases<br>&gt;attached to their webserver.  It would be possible to have
the official version<br>&gt;of the member database online but right now the
home office copy has a lot<br>&gt;more information in it than we need
online, (like whether or not dues is paid).<br>&gt;<br>&gt;To the question
of passwords.  We have to assign something as a password<br>&gt;for each
member.  Sandy set up a system so that her software generates
a<br>&gt;password automatically so she doesn't forget to put one
there.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;It may be possible to work out a different system
which would probably<br>&gt;involve you telling Sandy what you want as a
password and her putting it in<br>&gt;the home office database and then it
getting updated on the web server.<br>&gt;The member number part of the
login needs to stay.  It has to be unique and<br>&gt;names are often
not.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;I will look into a way to give you a password of your
choosing.  If you use<br>&gt;Netscape or Firefox it remembers the login
information the next time you<br>&gt;come back and you don't need to reenter
9:36, DIANE HOFSTETTER wrote:<br>&gt;<br>&gt; &gt; So, here I sit at work,
trying to find info on Oslund key recovering<br>&gt; &gt; machines. My login
and password carefully stored at home in front of<br>&gt; &gt; my computer
there. Why, oh Why is PTG so afraid of outsiders looking<br>&gt; &gt; at our
secret, esoteric info, that they assign such difficult to<br>&gt; &gt;
remember numbers to us? Even my BANK allows me to choose my own
login<br>&gt; &gt; and password on it's secure website. Diane
Berry Piano Service<br>&gt;Indianapolis, IN
list info:
https://www.moypiano.com/resources/#archives<br></font></BLOCKQUOTE>