compressors=noise

John Fortiner JLFortiner@usadig.com
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:20:35 -0600

That compressor can be made even quieter by lining the inside of that "nook"
with beadboard insulation.
fwiw Oil lubed compressors are normally quieter than "oil-less" compressors
- and normally last longer as well.
The noisiest part of a compressor is normally the valves that are constantly
opening and shutting during operation.  My compressor has LARGE mufflers on
the INTAKES so that this noise is quite low.  I used to have a 2 HP
Craftsman compressor on a 13 gallon tank.  My current compressor is a 5HP on
a 60 gallon tank and makes nothing even close to the amount of noise that
the old one made.  No hearing protection needed when around it.
Of course, the slower the compressor turns, within reason, the quieter the
operation will be.

John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.

  _____

From: Tom Driscoll [mailto:tomtuner@comcast.net]
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 1:51 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: compressors=noise

David Love asked: " Does anyone build  cabinet for these things in which you
can keep them a bit quieter and then have a hose running out to hook up your
various pneumatic tools?"

David,
I have a small "Pancake " compressor, that is just enough to push a nail gun
or blow out an action.
my next one will be bigger-quieter (this thing is LOUD!) .
    I had a nook in my shop between storage areas and built a hide-a way
with a door  for this little banshee.
    I'm not running for the hearing protection anymore.
    Tom Driscoll