compressors=noise

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:37:26 -0700

I'd be very interested in hearing which brands are the quietest.  While =
could build a cabinet, I'd prefer not to and use the space. =20

=20

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of John Fortiner
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 10:21 AM
To: 'Tom Driscoll'; 'Pianotech'
Subject: RE: compressors=3Dnoise

=20

That compressor can be made even quieter by lining the inside of that =
"nook"
with beadboard insulation.

fwiw Oil lubed compressors are normally quieter than "oil-less" =
compressors
- and normally last longer as well.

The noisiest part of a compressor is normally the valves that are =
constantly
opening and shutting during operation.  My compressor has LARGE mufflers =
on
the INTAKES so that this noise is quite low.  I used to have a 2 HP
Craftsman compressor on a 13 gallon tank.  My current compressor is a =
5HP on
a 60 gallon tank and makes nothing even close to the amount of noise =
that
the old one made.  No hearing protection needed when around it.

Of course, the slower the compressor turns, within reason, the quieter =
the
operation will be.

=20

John R. Fortiner