Accu-just hitch pins and tuning stability

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:19:30 -0400

> Andrew wrote:

> Any old-timers out there with hints on making these more stable?

I'm not old, but if they are loose, you could try to epoxy them in place.

> The two in my customer inventory both needed huge pitch corrections.

Which notes were the Accu-just pins on? And only two? Who installed these?

> They were more work than most other pianos I work with.  Maybe I need to
> adjust my hammer technique a little.

Keep you tuning hammer for tuning pins. Every time I've tried to turn the
hitch pins, they just spin around and the string slips on them.

> I will suggest keeping them in tune for greater stability.

Well, that certainly makes sense.

> Ie. major pitch correction, 2 months regular tuning, four months regular
> tuning, then every six months etc.  Any other ideas to add to the mix?

You want more of this?   ;-)

Terry Farrell

PS: Why would you think the hitch pins have anything to do with tuning
stability? Although, I wonder, if a string is shared by two adjacent notes,
is there any chance that erratic string tensions with the string scaling
might cause tuning instability - the string slowly moving from the low
tension length to the high tension length? Is that what you are thinking?