Accu-just hitch pins and tuning stability

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:54:19 -0500

I've worked on a number of Baldwins in the past, most of the vertical
hitch pin variety.  I wouldn't blame the hitch pin for the tuning
instability.  That is a difference in those pianos that is easy to see,
but there are other problems somewhat less obvious.

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Andrew and Rebeca Anderson
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 2:43 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Accu-just hitch pins and tuning stability

Te, hee-hee,:-D Terry, you take the pie.

I have two customers with baldwins that have accu-just hitch
pins.  The shared strings apparently do slip around those a lot
easier than I'd prefer.  I just got called back to one I did a large
pitch-raise ( 60+ ) to about a year ago.  I had called for a
follow-up in 2-3 months.  The unisons weren't rock solid, it was
about 5 cents flat.  I'm used to coming back to better unisons but
this and the other baldwin with those derned hitch pins defy
me.  Perhaps the third tuning after a large pitch correction will be
the charmed one on these.  I was just wondering if I was missing
anything.

Andrew