Accu-just hitch pins and tuning stability

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:17:26 -0500

> I have two customers with baldwins that have accu-just hitch pins.  The
> shared strings apparently do slip around those a lot easier than I'd
> prefer.

I doubt that.

>I just got called back to one I did a large pitch-raise ( 60+ )
> to about a year ago.  I had called for a follow-up in 2-3 months.  The
> unisons weren't rock solid, it was about 5 cents flat.

How long since the last tuning that it was 60 cents flat?

>I'm used to
> coming back to better unisons but this and the other baldwin with those
> derned hitch pins defy me.  Perhaps the third tuning after a large pitch
> correction will be the charmed one on these.  I was just wondering if I
> was missing anything.

It sounds to me like the piano did extremely well being only five
cents flat a year after a 60 cent pitch raise. It's also no surprise
that the unisons were rough, and it wasn't the vertical hitches that
did it. More likely, it was strings rendering through the bridge
over time after you had done the pitch raise and left the building.

Ron N