"Baldwin designs" was "Accu-just hitch pins and tuning stability"

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:56:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Alan,

I will be the last one to defend a company that was so
badly mismanaged.  Your points are well taken, and I
wasn't even thinking of the uprights.  No, not even
the Artist series grands look like finely polished
pieces of art.

They did however come up with the vertical hitch pins,
which I do like.  True, they look crude, being
standard low cost parts, but the concept has
advantages acoustically and in production - if the
production line had only done what they were told to
do.  Others like Del have gone through the trouble to
get nice looking parts that don't rust (and his design
is actually different).

On the SF10, you will see a bass bridge without an
apron.  They actually were willing to forgo the extra
speaking length in favor of a better design. Marketing
fluff was not design rule No. 1!

The rims were made of some pretty dense wood.

The loudness was not at the expense of sustain -
better built Baldwins had both.

I also like the perimeter bolts with the adjustable
plate height feature.  There again, the production
line may not have always done what was intended.

Most of this work seems to go back to the the 1960s
though, and I have the feeling that a number of
engineers left Baldwin feeling exhausted from battles
with management.

I agree though, things that make you appreciate the
effort put into hardware, finish, and nice
workmanship, there is no shortage of manufacturers who
put more money into it.

Best regards,

Vladan