seasoned for destination???

Robert Andrews wncpianoman@yahoo.com
Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:37:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi List,

After being in the piano business for a number of years, playing the piano for more years than I can count and owning a bunch of pianos, I have retired from Oregon to Western North Carolina (Hendersonville) and have recently purchased a gray market C2 silent (sn 5516795 made in the late 90's) from an dealer in Florida.

After selling Yamaha's for years, my brain continues to toss around the term 'seasoned for destination' like a stuck record.  We sales people were told by Yamaha US that the soundboard and bridges were seasoned a few % drier than those sold in the orient.  Well, of course, the destination of 'the US' means indoor humidity conditions from 20% to 99%.  Oriental homes (inside) must figure in that range somewhere, one would think.  The fellow I purchased the piano from in Floriday stated that Yamaha doesn't season for destination any longer.

The climate in my home this summer with airconditioning (in a very warm, damp outside climate) has been 75 degrees and from 45-48% humidity.  I purchased a Dampp-Chaser wet humidistat (which I have yet to install) which will keep the piano around 42%.

So here's the question finally:  Will I be ok with my gray market C2 with a wet humidistat installed?   Will my gray market piano be OK and stable at a fairly continuous 42% humidity?

By the way, so far the C2 looks and sounds great!!!.   Fewer hot harmonics that most new US C2's I've played.  Mellow but still clean; great breaks, smooth action, easy to "whisper" on and a delight to play.  I put the flat side parallel and 6" from the wall to help compensate for losing the bigger bass of the C6 I sold before leaving Oregon.  The C2 Sounds great in an 18' X 28' room with vaulted ceiling and hardwood floors (with a thick oriental rug under the piano itself).

Thanks,
Bob Andrews
Hendersonville, NC

Yahoo! Mail for Mobile