seasoned for destination???

hubert liverman hubertliverman@bellsouth.net
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 10:15:59 -0500

Hi Bob,

You will need a full wet/dry undercover system,and all the other help =
you can get.

End of the Tech advise...

My Father retired there years ago,and I was based out of 'Hooterville' =
for years. Wonderful place!

Please contact me off line,as I know names of people for you to meet and =
enjoy.

Hubert Liverman

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Robert Andrews=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2005 1:37 PM
  Subject: seasoned for destination???=20

  Hi List,

  After being in the piano business for a number of years, playing the =
piano for more years than I can count and owning a bunch of pianos, I =
have retired from Oregon to Western North Carolina (Hendersonville) and =
have recently purchased a gray market C2 silent (sn 5516795 made in the =
late 90's) from an dealer in Florida. =20

  After selling Yamaha's for years, my brain continues to toss around =
the term 'seasoned for destination' like a stuck record.  We sales =
people were told by Yamaha US that the soundboard and bridges were =
seasoned a few % drier than those sold in the orient.  Well, of course, =
the destination of 'the US' means indoor humidity conditions from 20% to =
99%.  Oriental homes (inside) must figure in that range somewhere, one =
would think.  The fellow I purchased the piano from in Floriday stated =
that Yamaha doesn't season for destination any longer.=20

  The climate in my home this summer with airconditioning (in a very =
warm, damp outside climate) has been 75 degrees and from 45-48% =
humidity.  I purchased a Dampp-Chaser wet humidistat (which I have yet =
to install) which will keep the piano around 42%. =20

  So here's the question finally:  Will I be ok with my gray market C2 =
with a wet humidistat installed?   Will my gray market piano be OK and =
stable at a fairly continuous 42% humidity?

  By the way, so far the C2 looks and sounds great!!!.   Fewer hot =
harmonics that most new US C2's I've played.  Mellow but still clean; =
great breaks, smooth action, easy to "whisper" on and a delight to play. =
 I put the flat side parallel and 6" from the wall to help compensate =
for losing the bigger bass of the C6 I sold before leaving Oregon.  The =
C2 Sounds great in an 18' X 28' room with vaulted ceiling and hardwood =
floors (with a thick oriental rug under the piano itself).

  Thanks,
  Bob Andrews
  Hendersonville, NC

-----