Stain Stripping

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:10:15 +0200

Gordon,

I know this is a well known nono, but in my life, sanding by hand with 240
grit in the direction of wood grain evens the tone of wood without ruining
the veneer.  No other technique got me rid of the superficial scratches and
of the offendable changes in colour shades of veneer.  Yet, I'm readdy to
experiment better techniques.  Maybe we disagree on some english term, like
sanding.  I know in flemmish, there are two words for sanding : "schuuren"
which is sanding with 40 grit to 180 grit, and "slissen" which is sanding
with 240 to 1200 grit, and sounds more like polishing.  In french, no
difference : both are called sanding.  How is it in English ?  I recall
having made concavities in my early days with a sanding power tool and 120
grit, insisting on areas which presented defectuosities, but this I do not
anymore.  Anyway, always nice to share experience (if I can say I have
some).

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.