Stain Stripping

Mark Potter bases-loaded76@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:19:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Terry -

I have never used the stripper you used, so I may be shooting blanks here, but here are the things I would try, in order:

1. Re-strip the entire inner rim with a light coat of the stripper, and use a maroon scotchbrite pad to lightly remove the stripper and hopefully what remains in the wood.  Ya could get lucky...
2. Wipe down with acetone, or if you prefer, lacquer thinner
3. Wash thoroughly with TSP solution, using maroon scotchbrite pad LIGHTLY, with even pressure.

At this point it would be a victory if the entire inner rim were without blotches, even if it is lighter in color than the rest of the case.  With dyes you should be able to return its color to a hue similar to the rest of the piano.  Or, you can choose to leave it lighter for contrast.

Good luck!

Mark Potter