Stain Stripping

Wayne Walker wayne.w@musicstop.com
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:04:01 -0300

Hi Terry,

I have refinished plenty of pianos over the years. To even out this stain
problem I would just use #1 steel wool with lacquer thinner and rub the
whole area down. When the thinner starts to dry use a dry clean pad of steel
wool to finish off ( rubbing with grain). The should even out the area and
removed any finish left behind. I always do this to all surfaces to clean up
after stripping the area with paint and varnish remover. You should only
need a light sanding with 120, 180 and 220 paper before the next step.

Wayne Walker
Piano Tuner & Technician
MUSICSTOP LTD
1005 Dow Rd, New Minas, NS
B4N 3R4
Cell 902-221-1540
Fax 902-681-1463
HYPERLINK "mailto:wayne.w@musicstop.com"wayne.w@musicstop.com
HYPERLINK "http://www.musicstop.com/"www.musicstop.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Farrell [mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 1:40 PM
To: Mailing list for piano refinishers.; pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Stain Stripping

I stripped the finish off the inside of the case (rim) of a piano I am
working on. I used a methylene-chloride-free product called Dyna-Strip 2,
sold by Pianolac. One application of stripper left on overnight removed the
finish completely - it literally fell off - no scraping required at all. I'm
very happy with that aspect of the results.

In some areas, hunks of the stripper slid down the face of the rim - it
still removed the finish - but in those areas, less stain was removed. So
now I have shadows of light and dark where there was an apparent difference
in stain removal.

What is the best way to address these stain shadows?

Terry Farrell

   _____

It has removed 1799 spam emails to date.
Try HYPERLINK "http://www.spamfighter.com/Product_Info.asp?"SPAMfighter for
free now!