Will the circle be unbroken??? Fishers and floaters question.

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:48:11 -0500

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8
LIst,

I'm rebuilding/remanufacturing a 5'0 Schulz 3-legged spinet.  Don't ask why, that's another long story.  24 note bass, cantilevered bass bridge (with lots more cantilever at note 24 than at note 1!), terrific hockey stick curl at the end of the long bridge.   Lots of potential for improvement, very little to lose if it doesn't work out.  And, absolultely no "circle of sound".

The plate has no attachment to the rim forward of the belly rail - just screws into the pinblock.  So I remove the screws and lift the plate out, and the pinblock is sitting loose on the inner rim, and it lifts right out.   No glue, no screws, no dowels.  Nothing.  Like I said, lots of potential for improvement:  I will be using screws, glue, and dowels to close the circle at this end.  I've enjoyed ridiculing the S&S hype as much as anybody, but when it comes right down to the nuts and bolts of assembling a piano, I think there is some value, if only in tuning stability, in nailing down the pinblock and plate to the rim and stretcher.

Bass bridge:  crawled under the piano, removed the screws, and the bridge/shelf assembly just fell off.  Glue had completely failed (actually, looked like a starved joint that probably had been loose from day 1).  Removed the screws holding the bridge to the shelf, and that joint just fell apart too.  Same gluing technique, I guess.  I'm just overwhelmed with excitement at the potential for improvement!!!  On the positive side, changing the bass bridge mounting to decrease or eliminate the cantilever will be a ;iece of cake!

So here's the question:     I'm considering eliminating, or at least reducing drastically, the amount of cantilever on the bass bridge.  At some point (what point?) the soundboard probably needs to float.  Some of you have posted pictures of this, and it looks like the cut is parallel to the ribs, so that no ribs are severed.  Is this in fact true?  Is it critical?  On this piano, to avoid severing a rib, the float cut would end up between the tenor bridge and the straight side of the rim - probably wouldn't do much good for the bass bridge, and what about the tenor bridge - would it be helped or hurt by the float?  I'm looking for a path that doesn't include re-ribbing  or replacing this soundboard,   Are there some general rules on the relationship of the float cut to the bass bridge, the tenor bridge, and the rib layout?  I expect this piano will end up breaking many of the rules, but I'd like to do it with my eyes open, if possible.  Attached photo shows bridges relationship to ribs and rim.

thanks

Mike

Michael Spalding
spalding48@earthlink.net