Retirement Advice was Re: slowwwww month

Avery Todd avery1@houston.rr.com
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:26:53 -0500

Susan,

>I plan to continue as long as I am able before applying for Social
>Security --

Why is that? Once one reaches "full" retirement age (according to SS)
you can start
collecting your SS without any penalties. You can make as much as
you're capable of
without them deducting anything.

Figure out how much extra you'll get from SS by waiting (none of us
knows how long we have left), then see how long it would take you to
make up the difference in what you would have been collecting those
extra years if you wait for that little higher benefit.

A friend of mine who's close to 62 figured it all out and he said the
difference he'd
make by waiting until he's the full retirement age would take him
about 20+ yrs. to make
up.

I hope I'm making myself clear. :-) "I" know what I mean but I'm
having trouble conveying
it! But maybe it's different for people who are totally
self-employed. I'm already collecting
my full benefits but will continue working at the university for
another 2-3 years (probably)
plus doing off-campus work.

>except that I may be tempted to start taking it just so that I can
>stop paying into it.

I can understand that.

Avery