Retirement Advice was Re: slowwwww month

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:59:08 -0700

--=====================_9951179==_.ALT
At 07:09 AM 8/22/2005 -0500, Dean wrote:

> >>In fact, get ahold of your congresspersons and DEMAND the same
> retirement plan THEY get! THEY aren't paying into SS.
>Just because they are crooks why should I be? I can't see the morality in
>stealing money from my neighbors to fund my retirement.  Demanding the
>government take care of us at any age or for any purpose (schooling,
>medical, etc) is a self conscious acknowledgement of our own slavery and
>incompetence. At least that is my opinion.

I have a certain sympathy with this point of view, though we are probably
on the opposite ends of the political spectrum. I plan to continue as long
as I am able before applying for Social Security -- except that I may be
tempted to start taking it just so that I can stop paying into it.

As for the advice to young people to save and invest -- depends what you're
investing in. The Fed is scattering too much liquidity to want to hold onto
dollars for long. So, I took some of my mother's estate, and invested it in
-- soapstone. Very hard to inflate soapstone. I added a new Aladdin lamp to
shed a little light. I find the prospect of possible power failures from
natural gas depletion in my old age much easier to face with a warm stove
(and a hot meal with light to eat it by) as a level of comfort I need not
sink below, come what may. This very heavy sophisticated pile of stone
should still be around, good as ever, long after I'm gone, keeping some
other lucky person warm.

Young people -- invest in useful things which last, and are hard to steal.

Susan
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: stove and lamp.jpg