Keys not level

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:40:48 -0500

Unless critters have eaten the center punchings or they have rotted away--and assuming these keys were once level and haven't been messed with--the problem lies elsewhere.

Think about the system in the grand: If the front of the key is too low, the back has to be too high and vis versa.

Look for foreign objects under the keys, front or back. Look for torn up or worn away damper lift felts on the backend of each key.

It's possible that the key needs "easing" at the front rail, but not likely the cause of your problem.

Does the whippen sit down solidly on the capstan, or is something holding it up? You can test this last one by pressing gently on keysticks near the capstans and seeing what moves, what is level, what is not.

If I were a betting man, I'd lay 10 to 1 odds on foreign objects amongst the keys, e.g., dirt, mouse nesting or grain storage (yep, it happens), Barbie Doll shoes, hairpins, paper clips (common), 1933 Double Eagle gold coin (somewhat less common).

Hope it helps..

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Matthew Todd
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 08/22/2005 10:20:13 PM
Subject: Keys not level

I noticed on someone's grand piano today that a few (2 or 3) of their keys were not level with the others.  Could this be a balance rail punching problem or could other things contribute to this as well?

I am just paying real close attention to pianos I come in contact with as I am still learning.

Thanks for all your help,
Matthew