CA/Elmers/misc.

John Delmore jodel@kairos.net
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:18:12 -0500

Back from the Beach!!  Grand Isle is a great place, although it was hot as
you-know-what.  Blue crab, $25.00 a bushel-yum!

Anyway, I checked the pH of Elmer's white glue, it's 5.2.  So it really
"shouldn't" be accelerating CA glue (which need moisture, and hydroxyl ion
for reaction).  I'll check the buffering capacity when I get some time, may
be the CA glue has enough base to overcome the Elmer's pH.  I wish I could
try some experiments to determine the relative bonding strengths, bonding
and curing times for various mixtures, but with the Louisiana humidity, it's
gonna be tough for me to find a "dry" place to do the tests.  Maybe someone
in the desert Southwest would be interested in collaborating?

I bought the previously mentioned Brinkerhoff "lab" piano yesterday.  Talked
her down to $50.00 after looking at it.  For my purposes, it seems ideal-has
a couple of any kind of problem you ( I ) can imagine.  Couple of broken
hammer shanks (keys 1 & 2 though), about 3 broken string (really high
treble), some "sprung" hammer heads.  Keeping in mind the purpose of this
piano (a learning tool-I'm not looking to resale for a profit), does anyone
have any advice for a "temporary fix" for the sprung hammer heads?  I know
the tone will be crappy, and I will replace all the hammers when I get to
that point, but for now, I'd just like to stabilize them.  Just glue the
felt back down and clamp? (BTW, this is not the piano I'm learning to tune
on-that would be a nightmare!)

John Delmore