The Three-Hour Tuning or The PIano From Hell

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:10:44 -0500

Rural church. Piano not tuned since 1998.

Whitney POS spinet made (cloned? hatched? spawned?) by Kimball in 1967.

Bass up to E3, VERY close to pitch. Tenor off as much as 10 cents, some sharp, some flat. Treble up to 30 cents flat. THAT's kinda weird right off, isn't it?

Felt strip woven through the strings between the pins and the V bar.  High string friction.

Pinblock tight but pins very torque-y.

Setting a stable string/pin is so d**n frustrating. You set it, wang it, wiggle the hammer, and it drifts ... sometimes up, sometimes down, as much as 7 cents or so. Then, when you think you've got it, you tune another string in the unison and the first goes out. Get those "stable" and they will drift when you tune the third string.

I always check/tweak the unisons as my last pass. I did it on this one over and over again.

Wild strings? We're talking screamers in the treble, many drunken rollers in the tenor. Don't think they'd pay me to pull the action and tap, CA or otherwise work on the long bridge.

They asked how often it should be tuned. My first instinct was just to say, "This ought to take care of it for another seven years." Ha.

Why did they call? Because a key wasn't working correctly, of course. It was F3 and it worked just swell for me. It was playing softer than it's neighbors on a soft blow--letoff was about 1/2 inch. Fixed that. Strengthened the hammer return spring a little. Dropped the whippen a tad to make sure the jack wasn't hanging up .... sure hope that fixes whatever they thought was wrong. I would have shot a little CLP at the action centers but I used up the last of my traveling stock soaking the stupid V-bar felt (which helped ... a little ... I think ...)

This is the first piano I've seen with the rounded keytops. I think I hate 'em.

If this piano was one of the first a newbie had to work on, I swear he'd go into real estate immediately.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri