CA glue + Elmers for Ivories

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:48:41 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent Swafford" <kswafford@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 1:59 PM
Subject: Re: CA glue + Elmers for Ivories

> "You couldn't get them off with Blasting Powder"? Actually Joe, based  on
> your comments, I'd be inclined to try this method.   8^)
>
> Anyone care to write up exactly how they have used a CA/wood glue
> combination to re-glue real ivories? Sounds like it could be a good  field
> repair; or at least, better than what I have been using.
>
> Kent
>

> On Aug 23, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Joe Garrett wrote:
>
>> Frances,
>> Don't understand "about the cat"??
>> As for the ones reglued with Susan's magical elixir....You couldn't  get
>> them off with Blasting Powder!!! Heat? NOpe! Moisture? NOpe!  Solvents?
>> NO..Hell NO! BTW, the stuff sticks much better to the  WOOD than the
>> Ivory. BUT, it still sticks extremely hard to the  Ivory. Hence, no
>> Salvagable Ivory. As I said, what a waste!!! :-(

Joe, I think your blasting powder has deteriated.  You remind me of the guy
who stood up at a prayer meeting and confessed  "I've shed barrels and
barrels of tears over my bad habit of eggazerating everything"

Pvc-e works good for plastic, but for ivory it would have to be clamped
since the water base will warp the key top.  I use gap filling or extra
thick ca on the key in a rectangle bead and lick "yum yum" the bottom of the
ivory and press it on.  Works great, looks bad but I hear my Mother calling
me and I wanna get out of there.  Replacing ivory is problematic since you
need a replacement that is from the same note and is the same dimention and
color.  That's why Yvonne Ashmore charges $35 to do each key.  We're fresh
out of elephants so I'm getting used to plastic.

Regards

Carl Meyer PTG assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.