Baldwin Designs, etc.

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:19:02 -0700

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Dean May
Sent: August 22, 2005 5:46 PM
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: RE: Baldwin Designs, etc.

Why not? I do it all the time.

Del

Del, you have a special license that gives you permission to do things that
terrify the rest of us.  ;-)

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

No. I just ponder this stuff. And I wonder why a lot.

And then, when I look at a plate with a bunch of hitchpins up at one end and I
think about how much stress is really on that section of the plate I end up
thinking, "well, why not?" The plate bolts don't really carry any of the string
tension load. At least not through the upper half or so of the plate. And it's
debatable if they carry any of down below. So, what danger is there really in
removing a few plate bolts? At worst it's going to want to bow up a bit and I
can prevent that by lightly clamping the plate down through the area as I go.

So, while I don't recommend the practice -- I'm not in your shop and I don't
know all of the mitigating circumstances -- I'll simply say that I do it all the
time for various reasons. Some of which I could probably have avoided if it
weren't so easy to change things later on.

Del