Baldwin Designs, etc.

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:03:38 -0500

  From: Delwin D Fandrich=20
  To: deanmay@pianorebuilders.com ; 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 10:19 PM
  Subject: RE: Baldwin Designs, etc.

    From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] =
    Sent: August 22, 2005 5:46 PM
    To: 'Pianotech'

    Why not? I do it all the time.

    =20

    Del=20

    =20

    Del, you have a special license that gives you permission to do =
things that terrify the rest of us.  ;-)

    =20

    Dean

    Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

    PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

    Terre Haute IN  47802=20

  =20

  No. I just ponder this stuff. And I wonder why a lot.

  =20

  And then, when I look at a plate with a bunch of hitchpins up at one =
end and I think about how much stress is really on that section of the =
plate I end up thinking, "well, why not?" The plate bolts don't really =
carry any of the string tension load. At least not through the upper =
half or so of the plate. And it's debatable if they carry any of down =
below. So, what danger is there really in removing a few plate bolts? At =
worst it's going to want to bow up a bit and I can prevent that by =
lightly clamping the plate down through the area as I go.=20

  =20

  So, while I don't recommend the practice -- I'm not in your shop and I =
don't know all of the mitigating circumstances -- I'll simply say that I =
do it all the time for various reasons. Some of which I could probably =
have avoided if it weren't so easy to change things later on.

  =20

  Del