Baldwin Designs, etc.

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:37:09 -0700

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Farrell
Sent: August 23, 2005 11:55 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Baldwin Designs, etc.

  The other thought is if you 'all are using acu-just hitch pins  ...

Not accu-just, but vertical, yes. My understanding is that the accu-just are a
bit different (been a while since I've seen one).

then the type of plate suspension system isn't all that critical as one can
adjust the bearing on the board without moving the plate, especially if the
plate was installed in a fairly reasonable elevation.

You would think. But you don't really want the string more than 5 mm or so above
the plate and you need it a bit off the plate, so you really only have a few
millimeters of up or down adjustment. So you really need to get the plate very
near an ideal height - the pins don't really allow all that much adjustment. I
find myself adjusting the plate height just as close to ideal as I did before
using the adjustable system.

And this, sadly, is one of those little details that was so often overlooked by
the maker of these pianos.

Del