Baldwin Designs, etc.

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:55:21 -0400

I have several comments about this. First when you say drive them back =
in, I'll presume your not using a hammer?  right?=20

That crossed my mind also Dale. Maybe he mean drive them in with a =
screwdriver thingee. Del?

  The other thought is if you 'all are using acu-just hitch pins=20

Not accu-just, but vertical, yes. My understanding is that the accu-just =
are a bit different (been a while since I've seen one).

then the type of plate suspension system isn't all that critical as one =
can adjust the bearing on the board without moving the plate, especially =
if the plate was installed in a fairly reasonable elevation.

You would think. But you don't really want the string more than 5 mm or =
so above the plate and you need it a bit off the plate, so you really =
only have a few millimeters of up or down adjustment. So you really need =
to get the plate very near an ideal height - the pins don't really allow =
all that much adjustment. I find myself adjusting the plate height just =
as close to ideal as I did before using the adjustable system.
 =20
   If one is not using acu-just then it seems to me  using a plate =
suspension system has a greater potential for functionality in adjusting =
downbearing after the plate is strung. However. Even if an adjustable =
system is used with conventional hitch pins the lattitude  for lowering =
the plate has limitations.=20
  The first being lowering the  plate  behind the bass bridge. A small =
downward adjustment of the plate here can provide way more bearing than =
is wise.on heavily tensioned bass strings, so the suspension system is =
limited here unless bass string bearing felts .bars etc are readjusted =
to higher location. Possible, but a bit annoying.

Well, speaking for myself, all the pianos I have put the adjustable =
plate suspension system one also got a new soundboard. I find that I am =
usually adjusting the plate upwards rather than downwards from the =
original position - largely because of the increased crown of the new =
soundboard.

  Also an adjustment at the highest treble plate bolt location also has =
limitations in any system, as I see it  , the stiffness of the plate =
flange bolted to the block & the unwise application of to much =
rotational stress on same if that highest bolt is forced more than a =
small amount. Too much here induces a continual strain that may bite =
back in some form.ie. broken plate ,block pulled loose. But hey small =
amounts are often all that's needed.

Indeed, I think most changes are small. But here again, if you are =
replacing the the pinblock, you don't have to exactly duplicate the =
original placement if you are going to be moving the plate a tad. Put it =
where it is needed and at the angle needed.

 In my first encounter with using an adjustable Coleman plate suspension =
system allowed me to apply much needed bearing on a piano that I had =
miscalculated bearing load upon. That instance also required some =
shimming of duplexes etc to get the desired tonal outcome in one section =
& dimish it it in another & I'm happy to say in that instance it saved =
my behind & the gnashing of teeth of course. The piano sounded grand? of =
course......
  =20
 Dale Erwin

I looked at his system a couple years ago at a convention, but I forget =
the details now. How does his system differ from what I posted?

Terry Farrell

  I'm going to pull the top 4 or 5 bolts up high enough to clear the =
inner
  rim/soundboard, lower the plate to the desired elevation and drive the =
bolts
  back in. I have no plans to lower pitch first. Although I might =
mention that
  this piano does have relatively low tension scale and Baldwin plates =
are
  generally on the robust side.

  Del=20