Baldwin Designs, etc.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:38:08 EDT

I have several comments about this. First when you say  drive them back in,
I'll presume your not using a hammer?  right?
  The other thought is if you 'all are using acu-just  hitch pins then the
type of plate suspension system isn't all that critical as  one can adjust the
bearing on the board without moving the plate, especially if  the plate was
installed in a fairly reasonable elevation.
   If one is not using  acu-just then it seems to me  using a plate
suspension system has a greater  potential for functionality in adjusting downbearing
after the plate is strung.  However. Even if an adjustable system is used with
conventional hitch pins  the lattitude  for lowering the plate has
limitations.
  The first being lowering the  plate   behind the bass bridge. A small
downward adjustment of the plate here can  provide way more bearing than is wise.on
heavily tensioned bass strings, so  the suspension system is limited here
unless bass string bearing felts .bars etc  are readjusted to higher location.
Possible, but a bit annoying.
  Also an adjustment at the highest treble plate bolt  location also has
limitations in any system, as I see  it  , the stiffness of the plate flange
bolted to the block &  the unwise application of to much rotational stress on same
if that highest bolt  is forced more than a small amount. Too much here
induces a continual strain  that may bite back in some form.ie. broken plate ,block
pulled loose. But  hey small amounts are often all that's needed.
 In my first encounter with using an  adjustable Coleman plate suspension
system allowed me to apply much needed  bearing on a piano that I had
miscalculated bearing load upon. That instance  also required some shimming of duplexes
etc to get the desired tonal outcome in  one section & dimish it it in another
& I'm happy to say in that  instance it saved my behind & the gnashing of
teeth of course. The piano  sounded grand? of course......

 Dale Erwin

I'm  going to pull the top 4 or 5 bolts up high enough to clear the  inner
rim/soundboard, lower the plate to the desired elevation and  drive the bolts
back in. I have no plans to lower pitch first.  Although I might mention that
this piano does have relatively low tension  scale and Baldwin plates are
generally on the robust  side.

Del