Bergmann BG Sostenuto/Action Stuck

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 05:54:40 -0700

Rick:
    Contact Pam Woods at AND Corp. for a new wing bolt.  Call 866 798-6979.   Tom is correct, there is a capstan on the hammer flange rail.  Also, sometimes there is a small block of wood, the size of a dip block, which is wedged between the action frame and the wall of the action cavity.  It's on the left side, easy to miss if you're not looking for it.  Another thing- often the action won't shift properly because there are screws in the dag which often impress themselves in the soft keyframe wood.  You can screw them in (clockwise) because the cheek block will hold the keyframe, and it will free up the action to slide easily.  While you're at it, you might spray some lube on the underside of the action frame and the keyglide supports in the keybed.  I use McLube mold release.  Makes the frame move freely.
    Good luck!
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego

----- Original Message -----
From: Rick Bazemore
To: Pianotech
Sent: 08/25/2005 4:54:30 AM
Subject: Bergmann BG Sostenuto/Action Stuck

List,

I tuned a Bergmann/YC BG yesterday with a sostenuto pedal that would not slide the action.  Tried to pull the action to see what was going on and it would not come out using appropriate force.  Seems to me that it might be as simple as some kind of "locking device" used for shipment that was not removed in dealer prep - but since I am an independent RPT and a "newby" full-time tuner I have no experience with this particular issue.

Also, on the same piano, one wing bolt was missing where the pedal lyre attaches to the bottom of the keybed.

Help?

Rick Bazemore
East Atlanta