Bergmann BG Sostenuto/Action Stuck

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:28:33 -0500

>>Another thing- often the action won't shift properly because there are
screws in the dag which often impress themselves in the soft keyframe
wood.  You can screw them in (clockwise) because the cheek block will
hold the keyframe, and it will free up the action to slide easily.

I'm pretty sure that Paul has won the prize, although there is a 25%
chance it is the stop bolt on top of the hammer flange rail that holds
the action down in shipping. I used to sell Young Changs and Bergmans.
What you are describing should be done on every piano as part of new
piano prep, but especially to all Young Chang products. They seem to be
particularly susceptible to this problem.

If you are having trouble following Paul's description, the dags are 4
blocks of wood in the back of the action cavity screwed down to the
keybed. They act as stops when pushing the action in. They also have a
slot that the back of the key frame slides into which holds the back of
the action down when the piano is tipped up. Usually the dag on the
extreme bass end and the one on the extreme treble end has a brass screw
screwed into that slot. The factory uses these screws as temporary stop
adjusters for setting the strike point. This enables them to slide the
action in and out for regulation without having to use the cheek blocks
to properly locate the strike point.

This is the sole function of these screws. In the field we use the cheek
blocks for setting the strike point. The problem you are encountering is
that the sliding line established by those stop screws is not parallel
to the sliding line established by the cheek blocks. This causes the
action to bind against those stop screws when attempting una corda.

The remedy is simple: turn the screws in a full turn. You could also
back them all the way out and throw them away. But leaving them and
turning them in a turn does give you a roughly accurate strike point
without the cheek blocks. After making this simple adjustment the cheek
blocks alone will determine both the strike point and the sliding line
of una corda shift, precisely what you want.

It wouldn't be growing action brackets. Bergmans are not made in the
Korea plant and they came out in the late 90's after the problem time
period.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272