Bergmann BG Sostenuto/Action Stuck

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:52:19 -0500

I just uncrated a Lothar Schell (chinese made).  There was a capstan
on the hammer flange rail that was thoroughly embedded in the
pin-block.  I swear I could see it all, action & pin-block, ease when
I backed it off.  Also watch out for misplaced bolts.  Sometimes the
lyre bolts are longer then the leg bolts and engage the key-frame
when misplaced. DAMHIK

As for Lothar Schell, better than I expected a Chinese piano to
be.  Much better than the Samick Wurly my wife used to have.  The
factory tuning was knarly.  I had to do some key-easing.  I noticed
on the swing test that I may have to loosen some hammer flange
centers.  I'll give it a week or two to acclimate first.  That
suggests I may have to inspect other centers as well.  The action
felt a little heavy to me so I teflon lubed the knuckles and whippen
heals.  I sprayed prolube on the capstans.  They feel like they need
buffing.  Afterwards my wife said it felt much more responsive.

They have composite jacks and repetition levers.  All jacks were
nicely centered.  The regulation was a lot better than on a clients
new Estonia.  Still needs some refining.  The tone & sustain are
surprising in a 5' Asian piano.  Anyone know who makes these
hammers?  There is green felt around the wooden cores up to the low
treble.  They need a little voicing.  All in all a decent little
piano that may need more action center prep than on 'finer'
pianos.  Shiny, affordable, decent-playing and sounding as it is; I
don't think it will gather much dust on the sales floor.

Andrew