Una-Corda Mystery

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:31:46 -0400

Okay, here is my first (and likely lame) contribution to the daily =
mystery question.

About 1980 Kawai KG-2S - about 5' 10" - very good to excellent =
condition. Lady bought it used one year ago (she paid $3,500 for it - =
perfect satin cherry case - she got a great deal!). During that first =
year she had a QRS Pianomation player system installed on the piano. We =
had set up a service appointment for cleaning the interior, tuning and =
looking at a "loose" pedal.

The left (una-corda) pedal was just hanging down. I crawled under piano =
to check levers, etc. Everything with the una-corda under the keybed =
appeared to be functioning just fine. Adjustment appears good (in that, =
when the pedal travels down, the lever moves sideways in the keybed). =
However, when you depress the left pedal the action frame did not slide =
over to the right. The keyframe was resting on the left felted keyframe =
stop. The action slid in and out easily. It was as if the una-corda =
lever system was not hooked up to the action frame.

What was the cause of the non-functioning una-corda pedal?

(This is probably too easy - however, it did take me a good 10 or 15 =
minutes to fully figure it out.)

Terry Farrell