Key Trouble

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:19:18 -0700

Matthew,
Comments below.

Matthew Todd asked: " have a few missing keytops on my old practice =
piano.  I noticed that on some of the keys without the tops, a thin =
piece of wood that was once glued to the top of the keystick, has come =
loose.  Now, there are others where that thin piece of wood is =
splintered and some are missing.

First of all, I hope you all know what I am talking about, and second, =
can someone please give me the proper term for this "thin piece of wood =
glued over the keystick" as I feel pretty dumb explaining it this way.

For lack of a better term, I'd call it a key mortise patch.

Thirdly, how does one go about to repair such a problem so that I can =
put new tops on?

I would replace the missing "patch" with a piece of Basswood or Sugar =
Pine, (of which I have a whole bunch of.<G>) As for those that are =
coming loose, reglue them.

Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police