Nordiska tuning problem

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 07:13:30 -0700

Dear List;
    I'm having a difficult time with some new Nordiska pianos.  Generally, they tune ok, a challenge most of the time (tight pins, rendering problems, etc.), but a few just knock me out.  I've found that on these few, I can't seem to stabilize the tuning on the center section of the piano, near the first treble strut.  In that area, if I tune one note (unisons included), it affects the other notes around it.  If I find that the notes in the piano are flat, I use a pitch raising method and add a few cents as needed.  On these, when I get done with the first pass, they are close, but need another going over.  And over.  And over.  If I tune one note, the notes next to it get sharp.  If I tune them down, other notes go up.  I spent about 2 or 3 HOURS on the one I tuned last Friday.  I got it done, finally, but it was a record for me.  It wasn't the only one like this.  My first attempt was a week ago, when I looked at the pinblock flange fitting with a mirror.  There was a nice gap there.  So I came back last Friday to insert some shims and try again.  I was sure that this would cure the problem.  No such luck.  I had spent already over an hour the first time, and 2 1/2 hours Friday.
    I have noticed on these Nordiskas, and some other pianos from the same factory (plates look identical) that they seem to have a lot of interaction between strings.  I had one that a high treble string broke, and all the other strings around it went WAY sharp.  When I replaced it, they all came back down.  It seems that other pianos aren't so much affected by broken strings.  These really are too sensitive to changes in tension.  I almost expected all the strings around the broken one to pop, like a zipper.
    I would really like to get to the bottom of this.  I work for one of the largest Nordiska dealers in the country, and it's going to kill me unless I can get a handle on what's going on.  I can't afford to spend this much time on tuning one piano.  Anyone have a similar experience with this?  Ideas?  Suggestions?
    Thanks for your consideration.

Paul McCloud
San Diego

Paul McCloud