Bluthner / was Soundboard Removal

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:58:18 +0200

Hi Dale,

Interesting point I hadnt thought of relative to the ribbing material.
As to the impact of how the assembly is ribbed on the sound I would
concure, and thats why this excact bit is going to be of primary
concern. And I am quite sure I will welcome any and all thoughts on that
subject matter. Especially yours Dale !  My point about the old panel
was just to note it has its own character as well. This one is plenty
usable. Doenst look like it was ever subjected to much compressive
forces.  Rather, it looks like it was just pulled apart over time. Not
particularilly severely at that.

The scale, however... for better or worse... will remain as it was.  I
understand all the arguementations about making improvements on the
sound.  But this instrument will be as much just what old Julius had on
his mind at that exact time as I can make it be. It was produced in his
first three months of production. There cant be but a couple such
remaining examples in the world. I'll have plenty of chances in the
future to attempt alterations of origional designs me thinks :)

Cheers
RicB

Dale wrote

As to recrowning your panel Ric. I also suggest you try  figure out what
species do wood was used in ribbing & then try to find old  supplies of it or
recylce this type of material out of old uprights. It's  probaly some typpe of
pine common on the continent & close to where the  piano was made. Know what I
mean?
  Also the way you rib it has Way more to do  with the sound than the wood on
top. IMO.
 I'd seriously consider  a new more sane bridge root  & thus scale ,Maybe not
radical ,but his scales,  from what I  researched were always changing & all
over the map. SO what's really  original???

Dale