Stage managers and pianos

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:15:44 -0500

> I am increasingly finding that "stage managers" and
> others "in charge" of pianos take it as an affront if
> you tell them ( however nicely ) that their piano is
> not "up to snuff"

I suppose you mean venue stage managers.
  Most stage managers I dwelt with were glad when I told them of immediate
problems I could demonstrate. If you tell a stage manager the piano is not
up to snuff, and they take you for your word, they will rent one and then
figure out whether to spend money on the piano they have, buy new or
continue renting.  How they do business with you depends on your relation
(ie how you present your self). You could write up a professional estimate
and present it to the stage manager or who he suggests.  Of course if he is
"affronted" by what you have told him, good luck, and in that case
re-evaluate what and how you say it to stage managers so they aren't
affronted, especially if you are trying to build up business.

	 Every once in a while I did hear from traveling stage managers
about tuners who told them their pianos were "not up to snuff".  Most of the
time they were being "sold a job" .  One group had a old Bechstein they
bought that that had been restrung in the last year.   Yet they met a tuner
who said it should be restrung again for the next tour.  When they asked me
about it, I told them since they could afford the best how could there be
any better service than Bechstein, which they agreed, and then told them my
opinion.

---ric
		www.pnotec.com