Question for tuner/techs who play.

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:15:53 -0500

I usually play parts of some of these pieces because they have big chords, octaves, or arpeggios in a variety of keys:

Clair de Lune, Debussy, D flat
Waltz in A Flat, Brahms
C major Prelude, Bach (Well-Tempered Clavier)
Träumerei, Schumann, F (So beautiful, such a masterpiece of harmonic and melodic construction. Was one of Horowitz's favorite encore pieces, I believe)
Moonlight Sonata, 1st Movement, Beethoven, C# minor
Waltz in A Flat Major, Chopin, Op.69, No.1, Posthumous (which, I think, means he wrote it after he was dead)
Prelude in C Minor, Chopin (Shows off a nice bass. If the piano doesn't have a nice bass, I do not play it.)
Send In The Clowns, Sonderman, E Flat
Für Elise, Beethoven (At least the A and A' and C sections—and, I confess to ending with a big improvised arpeggios of the A minor chord to the top of the piano, pedal down, then play the lowest A octave and let it ring. Lotsa fun.)

If a new customer (regulars know better) ask me to "play something" for them, they usually get something like "Chopsticks" .... which slowly morphs into something more serious.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: John Delmore
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 08/29/2005 2:48:53 PM
Subject: Question for tuner/techs who play.

Hi all:
I was wondering if some of the techs who play have any favorite pieces they play when finished a tuning, to see how things sound musically ?  I would think something that ranges over the keyboard fairly well, maybe plenty of octaves, but not something so showy as to intimidate the client (still want their opinion, right?).  What do you think?
John Delmore